Search This Blog

Friday, June 26, 2009

Unofficial Square Foot Garden

One of the our friends recently built a square foot garden at their house and of course I was inspired! Little did I know how much work it ended up being for us. It was a learn by doing process and after several trips to Lowes, text messages to our friends asking a ton of questions, help from Matt's dad, and carefully mixing our soil (that was a process all by itself!), we finally built our first box! Well the box was built, but then taken apart because we thought we had the wrong dimensions. To be completely honest, our friends came over and actually built the box to show us how it is done. Ours is not technically a square foot garden since I don't have it divided out by square feet, but I'll just call it my growers box! I have lettuce, carrots, beets, several herbs, cucumber, and a jalapeno pepper thus far! I still have room for quite a bit more and Matt is working on building another box! Now, for those who know me, I can kill a cactus like that, so hopefully this will be my first success at growing something green!

No comments:

Post a Comment